Project Angel Hugs is a non-profit organization that tries to add a spark of laughter and fun to the life of children and their families touched with cancer.
In the Beginning, God Created Vanessa
Project Angel Hugs began with one 6 letter word, C-A-N-C-E-R, issued in the same breath with our daughter’s name, Vanessa. That was July of 1999 and she was all of 5 years of age, diagnosed with leukemia. Since then, many things in my life have changed.
As her mother of a child with cancer, I’ve learned:
- Medical terms such as platelets and white cells
- How blood is made
- To sneeze into my shoulder to avoid spreading germs
- To read a blood report and figure out an "ANC"
- How to hold a child undergoing a spinal tap
- What bone marrow looks like - precious
- How to put a smile on my face when I’ve felt like crying
- To turn to prayer to find strength and comfort
- To put my life on hold to take care of my family
- How to pack a quick picnic lunch when blood counts are high enough to go to the beach for a swim
You have to grab the moment, say the things you’ve been putting off, hug the stuffing’s out of your kids and husband, and what’s important in life…God, love, faith, family and friends. Please contact us directly at (920) 892-9138 for more information.
We Remember Our Leader
While we miss the guidance and faith that our founder and Director, Char Jensema Grider (mother of Vanessa) provided; we must carry on and make sure that her dream is realized. (Char was tragically killed in an accident on August 26, 2012.) Char is no longer present in the office, she is smiling down on her Project and giving us the information we need to succeed!
Project Angel Hugs' inspiration, Vanessa Jensema, sharing a hug with Buddy.